Buon Giorno a tutti! Today is the day that I move in with my host family. Whoa! I just found out that I'm living with the family of one of the Italian professors here at Syracuse- score! There's 3 kids in the family, 2 daughters (ages 23 and 13) who live in the house and an older son who does not. I don't know my roommate yet but at 5:30 I'm being picked up so I guess I'll meet her then! I'm pretty nervous about moving in but also really excited to get settled. Plus people in the past have said good things about the family and I'm sure they'll be sensitive to the fact that we're fairly clueless seeing as the mom works for the university and has seen first hand the mass chaos. The apartment is a 20 minute walk from school, which isn't bad seeing as this is the coldest it's going to get and it's already pleasant to walk that far. They also have a roof terrace which is something I've been dying for since I got here. My hotel roommate and I had a terrace but we didn't have an opportunity to hang out on it, plus it had no view whatsoever. This apartment though apparently has beautiful views of Florence. I guess I'll wait and see!
Last night was my first night on the town. A bunch of us met up in an American bar called the Red Garter where we convened while watching Italians play a trivia game about America in Italian. Hilarious and amazing! After a very loud and overwhelming 30 minutes there we went to the COOLEST italian wine bar called Moyo. It was super chic but earthy and funky. It reminded me of the wine bar equivalent of New Moon for all of you Burlingtoners. Way more my scene then the crazy American bar. Here we actually got to sit and talk and relax while sharing bottles of wine. Best part is that this whole bar area is right by the Piazza della Santa Croce. Santa Croce- the famous, gorgeous cathedral that I've studied in way more than one art history class! I was speechless when we entered the piazza and immediately started squealing and taking pictures. Until a man with blue eyeliner and half his face painted red barked at us....then we left. But it was still AMAZING! I'm not even going to embarrass myself by explaining my reaction when I saw a glimpse of the Duomo from the bus- use your imagination. I can't wait to see it up close and personal. I also saw the River Arno for the first time last night. Absolutely beautiful- the lights of the city were reflecting off the water and the arched bridges are lit and reflect in the water as well. There was a little waterfall where we were as well which was so neat. I really want to take a stroll over the bridges soon. I just need to see where my host family lives so I can start planning out what I need to set aside time to see and what I'll just pass by on my way to school. I think that's my favorite thing about this city. You pass by a beautiful monument or famous cathedral while wandering around trying to find a bank, and every building is gorgeous in itself. So many red terra cotta roofs and stucco walls. All of which look well loved and used but never abused or in disrepair. I know I've said that to some of you before but it takes my breath away every time. I'm going to try to post pictures soon so that you can all share in the beauty that is Florence.
Be well, and lots of love!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ali, all i can say is wow. I have this beautiful picture in my mind of the sights you have seen. It sounds wonderful. Enjoy . Glad to hear the sights are amazing. Love Dad.
ReplyDelete