Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bagel cravings and beautiful sunshine

I'm sitting in the Giardino where I dragged myself as soon as school opened to do work because I have a big presentation coming up on Tuesday. Needless to say, I am not working on said presentation. Something about it being gloriously, fabulously, wondrously SPRING is preventing me from actually looking at anything related to Botticelli. I just can't believe how Florence comes alive when it's nice out. I saw hundreds more people on my walk to school than I've ever seen- same roads, same neighborhoods, more sunshine. It's amazing. The sunshine has put me in a great mindset and I'm feeling really good about myself, my time here, and what I can still accomplish even though I got off to a rocky start. This realization may have hit me this morning when i woke up with the most intense craving for my traditional sunday bagel. I mean, I would have given just about anything for a green mountain coffee and a bagel with cream cheese. Name your price. One big difference this time though. Instead of it heralding a wave of homesickness and melancholy that I couldn't shake, it made me stop and think "it's only a bagel. it will be there when you get back." And then I went to the kitchen and poured myself some Fruite and Fibre which is apparently some kind of health food cereal reminiscent of raisin bran but should really be renamed tutti frutti party in your bowl because it's just that delicious. Who would have thought that dried coconut and apple could so vastly improve raisin bran??? The Italians have raised eating to an art form is all I can say.
Last night I took some lovely lady friends to the Reginella- the restaurant that mom and crew discovered on their solo night in Florence (something for which I will be forever grateful). Our favorite waiter Noe greeted me at the door and then after his friend gave us a hard time all through dinner (all in good fun of course) proceeded to feed us way too much free wine. Which naturally made all my good intentions to go home and get some sleep fly out the window as I went out for a night of dancing. But, on the note of Italians taking eating to an art form, I tried Spaghetti alla Boia. It's spaghetti sauteed in hot pepper, egg and garlic that makes a saucy consistency that coats your pasta in YUM and then they toss tomatoes in for good measure. I was not sure how I felt about egg and pasta. I am now a believer that egg and pasta is a direct sign from the heavens that someone up there loves us very much.
Well, before I go get some delicious Turkish food for lunch (possibly becoming my new Sunday tradition) I need to get some work done. Missing you all- be happy, be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment