Monday, April 26, 2010

There was a Great Big Moose

Today was my second to last day of my internship, and my last day with this particular class. To commemorate this occasion, I taught the kids a camp song: There was a Great Big Moose. If you don't know it, you should probably google it or something because it's a) fabulous b) going to make this story a whole lot funnier. So I'm teaching the kids this song, which goes repeat after me style. I sing the first line "there was a great big moose" and the line that comes back to me was the most adorable and hilarious thing I've ever heard. Insert rolling R's all over the place and try to imagine what "moose" would sound like if it was spelled with a couple of U's. Needless to say, fun was had by all. The kids got really into it. And then when class was over, they gave me a card a girl had made on behalf of the class and wished me buon viaggo (a good trip). So cute!
After my internship, I went on a 2 hour bike ride with Vittoria along the Arno outside of Florence. The countryside is SO BEAUTIFUL here. I never get sick of getting out of the city and seeing the hills that surround Florence. They're beyond picturesque! And it's always really nice to just hang out with Vittoria, especially since I'm leaving Thursday MOLTO PRESTO (very early). I have to be at the airport when it opens. Woof.
Thursday. Wow. I can't believe it. At times this semester absolutely crawled by, but right now it seems like it flew.
I definitely am not done with Italy though. I don't know precisely when, because I've obviously got another whole year of UVM fabulousness to enjoy, but I could see myself coming back for a while. I love speaking Italian (you've all been warned!) and think that's going to be one of the strangest things about coming back- everyone speaking English all the time. I mean, it's definitely going to be great early in the morning when I just want to stumble around and mumble unintelligible things, because speaking Italian before my coffee is just not feasible, but other than that, I really like it. It's like a puzzle, putting together all the pieces I know to form conversations. Keeps me on my toes! Plus, Italian is one of those languages that just always sounds great. Take for example, the word for pot hole: la bucca or (le bucce). So descriptive, and so nice sounding. Or chingiale- don't you just want to hug it, whatever it is? NO! It means WILD BOAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment